In this context, the City of Brussels has been put on notice by the Commission for non-compliance with the legislation in force. Criticism is directed especially to the failures of the control of air quality.
R&D always concerned to preserve and protect your health, challenged about this Commissioners Günther OETTINGER, in charge of Budget and Human Resources, and Karmenu VELLA, in charge of the Environment.
R&D also reminded OIB of the European Standard EN 13779, which clearly specifies the filter performance required by the system, to give a good indoor air quality, depending on the outside air.
We have requested the intervention of Commissioners OETTINGER and VELLA concerning:
- risks to the health of citizens and staff;
- the non-functioning of some stations in the European quarter;
- non-compliance with the limit values;
- the reminder of European directives and standards;
- the alarming rate of nitrogen dioxide;
- office air quality according to EN13779.
- taking into account of our requests;
- Intervention of the Commission to the Belgian Government ;
- the Belgian Government has taken steps and as a result the Commission did not referred the matter to the courts.
R&D requests that:
- OIB scrupulously respects the air quality standards in the offices and buildings of the Institution;
- Commission put in place an efficient and flexible mobility policy for its staff and negotiate with the Belgian authorities measures to reduce the pollution rate in the European quarter.